9.11.2008

The right question.


Jeff Buckley--Haven't You Heard

The sound of the zeitgeist, putting aside the fact that it was recorded in 1996.
Who were you in 1996, and did you understand then what was coming? What will you do now that so often, and so infuriatingly, what comes and who you are aren't what you thought they would be?

I don't do politics here, and my brand of social commentary isn't of the naïf-in-scenester's-clothing or cutting satire variety. I don't have to cover any of these angles to know that we're in a fair bit of trouble, folks.

America is a palimpsest, as are we. Some of us decipher the underwriting, and some of us do the scraping. I know that we are being effaced in two ways: overwritten by a heavy-handed bureaucracy kissing the hem of religion and holding the trump card known as "patriotism"; and corroded to dust by our own indifference in the face of this.

I can remember who I was in 1996. The only question I can ask is which action to take--reveal what has been hidden beneath, or scour away what remains and start again from the ground?

No comments: